You’re a New Yorker and you love everything about it—from the excitement and culture to the people and huge apartme…OK, you love almost everything about it. The city is great for a lot of things, but spacious living isn’t one of them. We may not be able to find you that 2,000-square-foot, rent-controlled apartment in the sky, but we can help you make your small apartment feel that big with these five tips.
- Buy Dual-Purpose Furniture. Declutter your space by investing in multipurpose furniture. Need some extra clothes storage but don’t want to tuck totes under the bed? Get a captain’s bed for a more sophisticated look. A modern lift coffee table is a great way to store anything you don’t want to display and can also pull triple duty as a dining table when paired with bar stools. Have a furry friend you need to crate? Invest in a dog kennel-table combo.
- Think Bright. It’s time to break up with dark colors and open your home to lighter hues. They’re more reflective and make the room feel open and airy, especially softer tones of off-white, blue, and green. Brighten things up even more by painting your wall trim and molding a lighter color.
- Build Up, Not Out. Have ceiling space to spare? Opt for taller furniture, like floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and a loft bed. Draw the eye up by installing long curtains all the way to the ceiling and lining the perimeter of the room with shelves for books, photos, and assorted tchotchkes to project a crown molding effect.
- Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall. Never underestimate the power of good mirror placement. When hung directly across from a window, mirrors reflect the outdoors and infuse your apartment with more natural light. Have a favorite focal point? Aim a mirror toward it to create an illusion of depth.
- See Things Clearly. Sometimes all the paint and mirrors in the world can’t compensate for dark furniture that weighs your room down. Bring your home back into the light again with translucent bookshelves, coffee tables, desks, and storage. Just watch your knees on those invisible corners!
So, you’ve followed these hacks and the ones in our itty-bitty bathroom, cozy kitchen, and secret storage blogs, but you still don’t have enough room? Contact the experts at Gotham Mini Storage for an affordable, secure solution to your space-savings needs.