Based on years of self storage experience in Manhattan and greater NYC, the storage professionals at Gotham Mini Storage have put together the following helpful storage tips for your use:
Self Storage Tips:
- Store items you’ll need most often at the front of your mini storage unit.
- When you pack your self storage unit, create a center aisle for access to all items.
- Don’t place cardboard boxes directly on concrete floors (use pallets, skids or another material) to prevent moisture absorption.
- If you’re storing tables and other large furniture, consider removing legs and store tabletops and sofas on their ends. This will save storage space in your mini storage unit.
- Old photographs tend to curl over time. To prevent this, keep them flat by placing them between two pieces of cardboard and taping them together.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
- Common sense and state law dictate what can be stored in your mini storage unit in NYC. You alone control access to your storage space. Never store live animals, perishables, liquids, explosives, flammable liquids and fuels, toxic materials, or other items that need a controlled environment.
- Use trash cans to store shovels, hoes and rakes.
- Mattresses should be covered and stored flat on level surfaces.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- When storing metal items, to retard rust, wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Pack blankets, draperies, and dress clothes on the hanger in a wardrobe box.
- Always use high quality locks on your unit. Locks are available for sale – ask you’re Gotham Mini Storage manager at our NYC storage facility for a recommendation.